Thursday, August 22, 2013

One European Dream... Rome, ITALY



May 7-10, 2012



On board Emirates flight EK 072 from Dubai to Rome Fuimicino International Airport, I got a business class accommodation of the ever luxurious Airbus A380 of the Emirates fleet. The flight was magnificent as I befriended two EK flight attendants, Joanna and Naila. 

I have enrolled in Skywards, the frequent flyer of Emirates Airlines since I am frequently traveling with Emirates everytime I am going on vacation. It is really advisable to join such frequent flyer programs on each airline company to avail of their promos and other perks. Since I was a member, I used my earned mileage to purchase my tickets from Dubai to Rome and Paris to Dubai and got it for FREE, I just paid for the tax which is at around AED 306. 



Rome Fuimicino Airport
Arriving at the airport was fun. I was thrilled upon seeing the signs in Italian. I told myself, “this is it”. I am finally in Italy, I am finally in Europe! We went to the immigration and had stamped our passports. It’s fast, you don’t have to wait longer than the usual queues I am into in other countries. I didn’t have any checked-in luggage as the ground staff in Luanda lets me carry my things with me. I directly looked for a money changer since I brought US Dollar with me. I came to a Forex counter before going out, when I told her that I will buy Euros, she then ask me if I am willing to pay for the commission which is very high. I don’t have any choice then so I agreed. The good thing was, she told me that she will not be charging me the usual rate, instead, she will just be charging me EUR 5. I was so thankful that I saved approximately EUR 100 for commissions.



I immediately went to my airport transfers booked ahead with Viator.com at a cost of around EUR 10-20 one-way. There are other means of transportation from the airport to the city center. Airport train is available going to Roma Termini at an estimated cost of around EUR 5-15. The shuttle service was efficient, we have just waited for awhile to fill the vacancies on the shared shuttle service. Off we went to the city after everybody was on board the van. Buckle-up as the driver had instructed us.  



I was excited along the way, seeing the green fields, wide roads, the railways and the trains, I’m also watching for signboards. I am attentive on the plants, flowers, the trees that we have passed. A first-timer really had this feeling like mine.



Several tourists are with me coming from other parts of the world. Some came from Australia, Canada, UK and US. While they were being dropped at their respective hotels, I was like having a tour already. We passed thru the side of Vatican City, going through narrow stone streets, old buildings, and I was seeing signs going to famous tourist places like Trevi Fountain. Fortunate of me, I was dropped last among the group. I enjoyed the view of Rome while inside our shuttle. Different places I've seen that made me really excited and then suddenly we passed along the Colosseum, I immediately told myself, “see you tomorrow” as I am scheduled a tour the next day



Trevi Fountain
I booked my accommodation at Hotel Milton Roma, i decided to get a hotel since I am traveling alone but I was also checking for backpacker's haven if possible so i can save. The hotel is not at the city center nor at the heart of the busy tourists places but the advantage is that it is very near the Metro. The location of the hotel was already familiar to me since I already have searched it using Google earth. 

Arriving at the Hotel, I checked-in, rest for awhile and freshen up. I immediately went to St. Peter’s Square as I have agreed to meet Joanna and Naila there by 4:40pm. I went down to the subway which was just across the street from my hotel and bought as unlimited pass for 3 days in Rome for EUR 11 at the vending machine. Took the train and hopped off at Ottaviano station which was just near Vatican City. Just walking distance from the Metro to Vatican City, many shops and tourists along the way.

St. Peter's Basilica
Walking along the street going to Vatican was exciting. I’ve seen several souvenir shops in which I already have checked for the prices to compare which shop offers a good bargain. There are also street vendors offering a very favorable price for a souvenir. You can find them just around the area. As Italy is know for Pizza and Pasta, you can find vendors and shops also along the way. 

Reaching the walls of Vatican City, i was amazed with what I saw. I have to shake myself as this is not a dream anymore. This is really Vatican City where I am entering now. While in the middle of St. Peter’s Square, I was overwhelmed that I felt like I am the luckiest person the world that I’ve been there in person, I’ve seen the basilica with very own eyes. I just can’t explain the feeling, it’s kind of mixed emotions.



My original plan is to come to Vatican City the next day during my Vatican Museum tour. But as I found friends during my flight, we agreed to meet at St. Peter's Square for a quick tour and bonding also. Since the two ladies were not yet there, I decided to take a glimpse of Castel St. Angelo just near the area. The view was stunning, located along the river. It has a stone bridge in front of the castle crossing to one side of the river. Took some pictures there and feast my eyes with other wonders around it. I never had a chance to peek inside the Castle since I received a message from Joanna that they are already in the square. We’ve exchanged messages and met at the center of the square. We immediately took some pictures, there were jump shots and I couldn’t forget the acrobatic tumbling of Joanna. It was great!



Inside St. Peter's Basilica
From the square, we had a great view of St. Peter's Basilica. There were seats in front, also the entrance is located on the right side of the square. Security is kept as there were scanners before going inside. We went inside the church, in which it’s already 6pm and there were no more queue. The church will close at 7pm. It was brilliant, it was superb, and it was marvellous! 

Fortunately, we found a Filipino working inside St. Peter's Basilica. They are tourists guides, taking to significant places inside the church. We approached Jerwin to take us picture in the altar. A quick chitchat and he offered us a quick tour inside. We also asked him to tour us around Rome. Thanks to him that in spite the whole day of working, he still have time to take us to the spots at night. It was for a friendly price…. FREE of charge.



Colosseum
While I was preparing for my European tour, I came across the website of Viator (www.viator.com). I read several reviews for me to know if it's not a bogus tour agency. I trusted my instinct and I booked several tours with Viator. 

I had a Colosseum and Ancient Rome tour morning of my second day in Rome. I paid my tour online at around USD 50-70. It is a private 3-hour walking tour covering the Coloseum and the Roman Forum just across the street with 20 or less participants in each tour guide. The tour was excellent with our guide Franceska, from Dark Rome Ltd., taking us into the depth of history. She was very entertaining and knowledgeable. She had shared her knowledge as an archaeologist very well. I booked the skip-the-line tour with access to the dungeon and the third level of the Colosseum. It was all worth it. Having skipped the line was a great factor with all the long queues of tourist wanting to see for themselves the beauty inside the Colosseum. We went down the dungeon where the gladiators and animals were staying before the fight. We also climbed up the third level to catch a better birds-eye view of the structure. Not minding the heat of the sun, we enjoyed the place. Continued our tour to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, which was called the Ancient Rome and the ruins were breathtaking. They have done diggings in the area to reconstruct the ancient city
Roman Forum



In the afternoon, another guided tour that I booked was the Vatican Museums tour. Also a skip-the-line private walking group tour for 3 hours with less than 20 participants costs me at around USD 50-80. I thought that with a guide, I can maximize my understanding on the artefacts that are on display. 

Vatican Museum is also known as the second most visited museum in the world next to Louvre Museum in Paris, I felt the privilege of coming in and seeing for myself the loveliness of each and every precious items being featured. There were creations of some famous artists like Michelangelo, Rafaelo and others dated centuries ago and were still being preserved. Included in the Vatican Museum tour were the Sistine Chapel and Rafael’s room. The museum had a vast collection of precious items that are like inter-related that some of the sculptures were used as figures in the paintings. I have known that each painting inside the Museum have the face of the painter as one of the characters. Taking photos are allowed in most of the parts of the museum except in the Sistine Chapel. But you cannot control the crowd in taking pictures inside the chapel but for us joining the tour, we are being instructed that it is really prohibited so we must follow the rules.
Vatican Museum



Ended my tour with a peek at the Dome of St. Peter’s Basilica giving a wonderful panoramic view on the whole of Vatican City and Rome. Our guide told us that we can climb to the top of the Dome. She guided us where to get tickets and elevator pass. I paid EUR 8 for the elevator pass since I had enough of walking all day. I saved my energy in taking the stair with the elevator as my friend told me that it will be a challenging climb with the twirling stairs and smaller passage going up the Dome. They're right, with the steep climb that only one man can fit the stairway all climbing up, twists and turns  but it’s worth the sacrifice.

View from Dome of St. Peter's Basilica
The view on top of the Dome is so fantastic. You can see Rome in 360 degrees. The beauty of St. Peter's square was marvelous. The climb was really worth it. I stayed for awhile on top enjoying the view of the square and the top view of Vatican City also with nice gardens inside the compound. I went down the Dome to meet Jerwin as he'll be taking me to the souvenir shop of his friend, we got a very good bargain with the things i bought. Thanks to him.

I went back to my hotel taking the Metro. Left my bag in my room, tried to explore around the area looking for a restaurant. Just in front of our hotel is a pizza and pasta shop. I ordered one and it costs me EUR 10 for the pasta and EUR 6 for my red wine. I am satisfied with their food. Before I went to Italy, I told myself that all I will be eating are pasta and pizza. I will try different pasta dishes as well as pizzas. And I love it!

I am scheduled to go to Pisa the next day, just round-trip. Since I got a Select Global Pass from Eurail (www.eurail.com), i picked the 5-day 4-Country package from Eurail costing me $600 including shipping. This is a train ticket you can to which country you choose, with first class accommodation on high speed trains. You may use it also on regional trains. You can purchase the ticket in advance and you can activate it on any train station in the area within six months form purchase date. You must have to plan your train journey as this can be used as an unlimited ride as long as it covers the travel day specified. 

It is also advised that this train ticket is subject to seat reservations because during peak season, sometimes, limited slots for Eurail ticket holders will be allowed on each trip. It is advisable to reserve a seat. In Italy, you can reserve a seat online but outside Italy, you must call Deutsche Bahn hotline to reserve. 

I have an available one travel day so i decided to go to Pisa, Italy to have a glimpse of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I spent it on my third day. I just reserved a seat in Trenitalia website for EUR 10, check my sked and off i go the following day.  
 

I had a chance of coming back to the site that I and my new friends visited. After coming back from Pisa, I wander in the city to have the Rome by day shots. I took the subway since i got an unlimited metro pass and dropped at the Republica Station, then to Barberini and walked to Trevi Fountain. I wandered just following my map, i reached Spanish Steps. I also ate gellato which i bought for EUR 5 just around the area. Metro is just within the area so i decided to take a look back to Vatican City and also check for some souvenirs that I don't have.


The whole Rome experience was a blast! One dream that came true and there’s more to come!

2 comments: